Good oral health is more than just flossing and brushing. It is about protecting your teeth and gums and other parts of your mouth that enable you to eat, speak and socialize comfortably. It is also about being free of any type of active disease and having the ability to make the right choices and promote sustainable and positive wellbeing. And this is why it is essential to know about oral health.
What is Oral Hygiene?
Oral and overall body health go hand in hand. Usually, when one is in good condition, so is the other. Therefore, what exactly is oral hygiene? It is the practice of keeping your mouth clean and free of infections. This can be done by regularly brushing your teeth using fluoride toothpaste and a toothbrush, using mouthwash, and routine visits for a dental check-up. Oral hygiene practices are what you need to do for great oral health. In most cases, most of the chronic conditions that affect overall health start in the mouth. If you practice proper oral hygiene techniques, then you can minimize such occurrences.
Tips for Maintaining Good Oral Health
When it comes to proper dental hygiene, there are numerous tips that your dentist can provide. Here are a few top tips for better oral hygiene.
- Emphasize proper nutrition every day
- Brush your teeth twice every day using fluoride toothpaste
- Floss your teeth at least once a day
- Visit the dentist at least twice annually for a comprehensive dental check-up
- Change your toothbrush every four to six weeks
- Minimized snacking on sugary foods and drinks
- Avoid tobacco smoking
- Use customized appliances
Importance of Maintaining Good Oral Health
Many health risks can occur due to ignoring the importance of taking care of your oral health. Tooth decay, cavities, and gum disease are all a result of poor oral hygiene and bad habits. Take time to examine your current habits and see whether there is any that may be harming your oral health.
Treatments for Good Oral Health
Treatment for an oral health problem is not always the same for everyone. Finding the right treatment is paramount to achieving the benefits of good oral hygiene. Here are some of the solutions that can help:
- Dentures: These are ideal when an arch or a number of teeth are missing in a row. They are easy to remove, and implant-supported dentures are usually stronger and more reliable than those attached using glue.
- Fillings: These are a perfect solution after a tooth has been removed.
- Restorative Dentistry: This is designed for patients with missing or chipped teeth.
- Root Canal: Once an infection is detected and removed, a root canal is required to clean it out to prevent re-infection.
- Dental implants: Implants are inserted into the jawbone where there is a missing tooth root and act as an implant for a dental crown.
When it comes to treatment, our dentist at Bayswaters can assist. We take pride in showing our patients how to maintain oral hygiene and proper oral care. If you wish to find out more about how we can help, feel free to contact us today and schedule an appointment.